At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP we hope you are never involved with the painful and stressful experience of being in accident. But at the same time, vehicle collisions are common, especially in California where the roads are often jammed with motorists trying to get from one place to the next. The unfortunate reality is that most people will be involved in a vehicle collision as a driver or passenger at some point in their lives. The attorneys at Kalfayan Merjanian excel at providing aggressive and effective representation to those involved in vehicle collisions throughout California. Often times, victims of collisions are injured and confused about what steps they should take after a collision. Here are a five things you should do if you are involved in a vehicle collision.
Five things you should (or should not) do:
- After a collision, call 911 and document important information. It is important to have the facts of the collision properly documented by the authorities. The standard traffic collision report that all police departments utilize documents most of the important facts of the collision and can facilitate the exchange of insurance information among the parties. Sometimes, in some jurisdictions, the police department is unable to come to the scene of minor collisions. In either case, make sure to get the following information (Hint: it is even better to get a photograph of the following):
- Driver’s license information for all the parties involved.
- Registration information for all the vehicles involved.
- Insurance information for at the vehicles involved.
- Get the name and phone number of any witnesses who saw the collision happen. Or better yet, kindly ask them to remain at the scene to provide a statement to the police.
- Take lots of pictures. The facts and circumstances of a vehicle collision can be difficult to remember months after the fact. Photographs can be invaluable if a dispute arises later on. Take plenty pictures of the following:
- Damage to your vehicle.
- Damage to other vehicles involved.
- The scene of the collision including any skid markings on the floor.
- Do not make any unnecessary statements. After a collision, it is common to be full of mixed emotions, stress and adrenaline. If police are dispatched to the scene of the collision, let the reporting officer know how the collision happened. Remember, often times, it takes a few hours before adrenaline wears off and pain sets in and your injuries present themselves. Avoid making statements that you are not injured at the scene of the collision as they can complicate your injury claim, especially once adrenaline has subsided and you begin to feel the impact of the collision. You are not required to answer any questions about your injuries and it’s best not to. Similarly, the insurance companies will call on a recorded line to start asking questions shortly after the collision. What may sound like a casual conversation can be way for them to limit liability and deny coverage. A skilled attorney can handle the insurance company for you and stop the phone calls.
- If you are injured, seek medical attention. After a collision, you are in shock and full of adrenaline but as soon as the anxiety of the collision fades, you’re likely to feel aches and pains. Our bodies react differently to an abrupt and unexpected impact-even at low speeds. You may have an injury that can turn into chronic pain if is not treated properly. If you feel pain, it’s important to seek the advice of a medical professional to evaluate your injuries and provide you with treatment options.
- Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney. A personal injury attorney can navigate you through the insurance company traps and get you on the road to recovery. After a collision your car needs to be repaired, you need a rental, you’re injured and have medical bills. At Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP our team of attorneys and staff have extensive resources and decades of experience to obtain the best resolution of your case and can immediately help you with the following:
- Moving your property damage claim along to get your car fixed and back on the road. A skilled personal injury attorney can find hold ups in your property damage claim and put pressure on the insurance companies to get the repairs started as soon as possible.
- Finding coverage for a rental car even if your own policy does not provide for one. In certain circumstances, a rental car can be set up for you by the at fault party’s insurance while your car is being fixed. The rental can be set up even if you don’t have rental coverage through your own insurance.
- Stopping phone calls from insurance adjustors. As soon an attorney-client relationship is established, our office immediately informs the insurance companies that you are being represented by our office and will speak to them and your behalf. The phone calls stop so you can focus on your recovery.
- Helping to ensure that you receive the proper medical care and navigating medical coverage issues.
- Representing you in a personal injury claim. Pain, suffering, grief, inconvenience, medical expenses, loss of enjoyment of life, lost earnings, loss of use to your car, lost earnings capacity, and the need for future treatment are the major components of your personal injury claim. At Kalfayan Merjanian, we understand that a vehicle collision is a traumatic and painful ordeal. We have the experience and resources to get your treatment covered and obtain compensation for your damages. We’ve successfully resolved thousands of cases and obtained billions in aggregate recoveries over all our practice areas. Our successful approach starts with the understanding that every case is different. From there, we assemble your legal team and devise a comprehensive strategy custom tailored to your case. We work with your medical providers to understand the extent of your treatment and damages. At Kalfayan Merjanian, we’re committed to making sure the legal system works for you to resolve your case favorably and make you whole again. Our extensive resources along with our expansive experience ensures you receive the maximum recovery for your damages and get you back on your feet.
The experienced attorneys at Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP can handle all parts of your claim including property damage, helping you find the right treatment, and resolving your case with no up-front fees. As a courtesy, our office does not take any fees from your property damage settlement. We advance all other costs of your case and we do not get paid unless we win. At Kalfayan Merjanian, we are so confident in our strategy that if we lose, you won’t have to pay us a dime. We take care of the legal side of your case so you can focus on what’s most important: getting better.
Call Us now
Billions of dollars recovered. Decades of litigation experience. Personalized care.
Get in touch with us now so we can give you the help you need.
We look forward to reviewing each case as the unique situation it is and finding novel and innovative solutions to help make you whole again.
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorneyclient relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.